For the chocolate cake you will need:
- 1 and 1/2 cups of [all purpose] flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of [warm] water
- 5 tablespoons of [unsalted] butter, melted
- 1/2 cup of pecans, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray [9 inch round] baking [spring-form] pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowel, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Next, add in the vanilla extract, the water, and the melted butter. Mix all the ingredients together until everything is combined.
- Stir in about 1/3 cup of the pecans.
- Transfer your batter into your baking pan. Sprinkle your remaining pecans on top.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.
The original plan when I suddenly decided to make the cake was to make a simple cake and frost it. Then suddenly, I found myself chopping up pecans for it. The end result? Too pretty to frost.
P.S. This post is a part of my “What’s for Dinner” series, where I share what I’ve been cooking and my recipes.