Here’s my take on the Oven Fried Chicken that I made tonight:
I originally wanted to use thyme as the main herb in the recipe, but of course I had none at the moment. I had every other type of herb in my pantry, but of course not the one I wanted/needed. Parsley, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, you name it… I had it.
Anyways, I improvised. Since I was serving it with the Soft Dinner Rolls that also had rosemary, I decided to use that in the chicken along with basil.
Here’s how I made it:
- I preheated the oven to 425 degrees. Spray your dish with non-stick spray.
- Meanwhile, I took boneless skinless chicken breasts (would work well with boned-in as well other types of chicken pieces I suppose) and after cleaning them, I didn’t let them dry completely (this is important because it gave it the crispiness without using eggs or something else to help create the crust). I marinated it with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne powder, basil, and rosemary.
- I seasoned flour with cayenne pepper, basil leaves, and crushed rosemary as well. Coat the chicken pieces in the flour mixture, and transfer them into your dish. At this point, I also sprayed the chicken from the top with the non-stick spray to help give it a crispy crust.
- Your cooking time may differ depending on the type of dish you use. I used a glass dish, and I cooked it originally for 25 minutes, then flipped the pieces around and let the other side cook for another 20-25 minutes after spraying the bottom of the dish once more with the non-stick spray.
- Update 1/03/13: when I made it again today, I made the oven fried chicken on a baking sheet lined with foil. The cooking time in this instance was about 20-22 minutes on the first side. After flipping the chicken pieces over, I baked it for another 15 minutes on the other side.
They turned out moist, crispy and delicious… but I’d make sure to serve it pretty quickly after making it to avoid sogginess or them getting tough.
P.S. This post is a part of my “What’s for Dinner” series, where I share what what I’ve been cooking and my recipes.
[…] I served this today alongside my Oven Fried Chicken [that also had rosemary in them]. […]
[…] out other things I’ve made recently: Oven-Fried Chicken Homemade Dinner Rolls with Rosemary and Black […]
[…] out other things I’ve made recently: Open-faced Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches Oven-Fried Chicken Homemade Dinner Rolls with Rosemary and Black […]
[…] rarely work with bone-in chicken, but used that when I made this a few weeks ago. I’ve also done a boneless chicken version of oven-fried chicken which you can see by clicking … I love fried chicken as much as the next person, but can do without the oil. I try to make things […]
[…] to serve alongside with another variation on my oven-fried chicken [this time I also used thyme alongside the rosemary and basil] for dinner, I roasted small red […]