What’s for Dinner: Bubble Up Chicken Pizza
I can honestly say that dinner usually turns out best when I’m under a time crunch and/or don’t plan on making anything that day.
This night, it was like around 4 PM, and my mom asked “are you making something tonight?”. I guess I was now.
This Bubble-up Pizza is what was the end result.
I had this image in my head for quite a while after I saw something similar online somewhere. I, of course, made changes to it, and made it my own.
I ended up making two that night. I’d say one pan/skillet feeds 4 people perfectly (I was cooking for six).
The one in the pictures is of the Chicken Pizza version. The second one I made: I kept it as a plain cheese one, I guess you could say.
Both turned out delicious.
What I used [the following is for one skillet’s worth]:
- 1 Boneless chicken breast, cut into very tiny pieces
- Store-bought can of biscuit dough from the refrigerated section (the ones with 12)
- Jar of marinara sauce
- Mozzarella cheese (about 2 cups)
- Italian seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Chili powder
Here’s how I made it:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (or whatever temperature the biscuit container says to bake it at).
- For the chicken: take the chicken and cut them into very tiny pieces. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, cayenne pepper, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and italian seasoning. Cook on low heat, with minimal amount of oil. Because the chicken is cut into such tiny pieces, it will cook really fast.
- The store-bought biscuit can? Take the twelve biscuit dough pieces, and quarter each one of them.
- In a mixing bowl, to your quartered dough pieces, add in a jar of marinara sauce, about a 1 cup and a half cup (approximately) of mozzarella cheese. Mix well.
- Add in your cooked chicken to your dough/sauce/cheese mixture. Combine everything together. At this point, transfer it into your skillet/pan/baking sheet (whatever you will bake it in). Sprinkle the top with another half cup of mozzarella cheese and italian seasoning on top of that [and more red pepper flakes if you would like].
- Bake in your pre-heated oven, for about 25-30 minutes. Just poke it lightly and check if the biscuits are done.
I was originally only planning on making one, and didn’t feel like making another batch of chicken when I had to make a second batch right after. So, what I did for the second batch was:
I mixed the sauce, cheese, and quartered-up biscuits pieces with red pepper flakes and italian seasoning. I sprinkled about (approximately) another half cup of cheese on top, along with more red pepper flakes and italian seasoning. The second one was a little spicier (with more red pepper flakes) and the biscuits themselves had italian seasoning on them this time, rather than just being in the chicken and sprinked on top at the end like in the first one.
Tip: I wasn’t sure if the handles of my skillet were oven-proof, so I covered them completely with foil (as evident in the pictures).
P.S. This post is a part of my “What’s for Dinner” series, where I share what I’ve been cooking and my recipes.
Here are a few other things I’ve made recently: