Last week, I made these homemade buns to assemble my crispy chicken sandwiches.
What I loved about these buns was how quick it was to put together and that it didn’t require any rising time for the dough. When forming the buns, keep in mind that will rise in the oven while baking.
What I used:
- 2 tablespoons of active dry yeast
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1/3 cup of [canola] oil
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 + 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
How I made it:
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water.
- Next, add in the oil and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- To the yeast mixture, add: the egg, salt and about 3 and 1/2 cups of flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until it forms a smooth and elastic dough. Do not let rise.
- Divide your dough into 8 to 12 pieces, depending on the size you prefer; shape each into a ball.
- Place the dough on a greased baking sheet, leaving ample room in between each piece.
- Bake the buns for about 8-12 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
P.S. This post is a part of my “What’s for Dinner” series, where I share what I’ve been cooking and my recipes.